Monday, September 3, 2012

“A Right Straw-y Epistle”


One of my college roommates memorized the Epistle of James for a small scholarship.  I listened to her quote the entire thing for practice, and came away disturbed; the epistle didn’t make sense to me.  It seemed like James couldn’t concentrate for any length of time, or was simply unconcerned with writing down a coherent chain of ideas.  The letter came off as a random collection of alarming moralizing statements.  What’s up with that guy?

But I decided to make this summer The Summer of Not Being Afraid of James.  (It’s the first step toward Not Being Afraid of Anyone Who Isn’t Paul.)  And over the past few months as I’ve read the epistle over and over, listening to James speak on his own terms, I found that he actually does make sense.  His style isn’t the Lego-stacking logic of Paul, but it is tightly coherent.  And his practical admonitions are woven into a rich fabric of theology that’s every bit as Calvinist as Paul’s.


[Yeah.  I just said that.]

~Jo